Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Time Flies

I can't believe more than a month has gone by since my last post.  Since the weather has been very nice, I've been spending gobs of time working on my flower beds.  I did post some videos during that time, but I didn't write any posts to go with them.

Willie was 17 weeks old on Monday.  His legs have grown so very long, and  I noticed four adult teeth last Friday.   His training is coming along nicely.  So far we've worked on:
  • sit
  • down
  • stand
  • stay
  • sit pretty
  • wave (left and right paws)
  • high five (left and right paws)
  • celebrate (high five with both paws at the same time)
  • bow
  • crawl
  • put four feet in a relatively small box
  • balance disc
  • retrieving (very much a work in progress)
  • Buja board
  • heel
  • side
  • front
  • behind (switch from one side of me to the other by moving in back of me)
  • around (both me and other objects)
  • spin and twirl (clockwise and counter-clockwise, respectively)
  • recall
  • nail clipping
  • touch
  • putting names to objects (we've got a long way to go on this one)
  • waiting patiently at the back door
  • waiting to be released from his crate
  • tugging
  • front cross
  • rear cross (definitely the more difficult cross for Willie to understand)
  • travel plank (for the 2o2o contact I'm hoping for on the dog walk)
  • hoops and gates
I try to work with Willie at every meal so that we have at least three short sessions each day.  The wonderful thing about working with a puppy is that there is no time pressure to accomplish anything.  After all, he's a puppy!  We can't compete until he's 18 months old.  Therefore, I can take my time and lay a solid foundation and let him mature physically and mentally.

Willie was offering too much handler focus when we were working with hoops.  He was actually running into some of them!  I decided to see if using a few gates would help him focus on where he was going.

No comments:

Post a Comment