Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Starting Over

It's been a while since I posted here.  I continue to shoot video almost every day and post something on YouTube, but finding the time to post seems to have eluded me lately.

Long before I even saw Willie's photo, I made a list of all the things I wanted to accomplish with my new puppy.


Goal:  To create a puppy with drive and biddability who thinks working with the Mama is the greatest thing ever.  One who is friendly and well-mannered, and confident in the face of new experiences.  I'm hoping to create a send-me-in-coach attitude.

Manners and Everyday Life
SOCIALIZATION
COME
Sit
Look at That
Down
Mat
Crate
Housetrain
Quiet
Walk on a loose leash
Accustom to being left alone
Noise desensitization

Balance, Proprioception, Movement, Other Basic Stuff
Balance disc
Balance peanut
Buja Board
Skateboard
Small teeter
Distance training by sending to mat and hoop
Around
Leg Weaves
Platform work

Pivot
Straight backing
Verse (backing around me in a circle)
Side pass
Retrieve

Freestyle and Agility
Accurate positioning for heel and side
Side
Heel
Front
Left
Right
Spin
Twirl
Away
Bye
FX
BX
RX
Go
Stop
Out, Get Out
Line Up

I train in short two to three minute sessions and when a teachable moment arises.  Here's a video from two weeks ago showing Willie learning about the balance disc.  Willie quickly mastered the balance disc and is now comfortable sitting, standing or sprawling on it.


Today, I videoed our one of our leash work sessions.  Willie had never been on leash or worn a collar before he came to me, and views the leash as a tug toy.  To extinguish this habit, I wait for him to let go and then either continue our walk or gave him a treat.  He's doing nicely.




No comments:

Post a Comment