I didn't think Willie had enough distance skill for me to send him out to 3 and 4 while I moved into position for a FC between 5 and 6, so I tried a blind cross which Willie didn't understand. Then I tried sending him out on his own so I could do a FC, and he did just fine!
Our next problem was the #11 jump. When Willie exited the tunnel, he drifted toward me and missed the jump. I would have preferred placing my FC between 13/14, but the only solution for this problem was for me to move in closer and do my FC between 12/13.
Our final problem was getting from 15 to 16. (I added the red dummy jump to make a box when I set up the course. Not one of my better ideas.) Willie repeatedly hit the bar at #15, and just didn't understand he was to go straight through the box. Later I had Belle try it, and much to my dismay I discovered that adding the dummy jump was a really poor idea since even she had trouble getting from 15 to 16. I removed the dummy jump and found Belle could complete the course when I used either handler path shown at the left. Willie still had trouble driving through in a straight line, so obviously we will have to work on this some more.
Well, at least I have some training ideas for this week:
- Work on getting RC and blind cross at 5/6.
- Work on increasing lateral distance so I can do a FC between 13/14.
- Work on driving from 15 to 16 in a straight line.
- It would be a good idea to not use bars when introducing Willie to a full course. There's enough new stuff going on that we shouldn't have to stress over knocked bars.
- Keep working on obstacle focus!!!