Wednesday, April 27, 2016

A New Challenge

Eight days ago, my right knee flared up so badly that I had to use a walker in order to get around the house.  Thankfully, 24 hours later I was able to hobble around without the walker.  Then three days later I was awakened by a burning sensation in my left buttock.  The initial diagnosis was that my piriformis muscle was spasming and affecting my sciatic nerve.  However, two days ago a rash appeared and I realized I probably had shingles.  My self-diagnosis was confirmed, and I started on an anti-viral yesterday.  I also started physical therapy for my knee yesterday.  Let's just say that I'm not a particularly happy camper at the moment.

Last Sunday, I had a break from both my knee pain and the shingles attack, and I was able to take Willie to a NADAC trial.  My only goal for the day was to finish the day and still be able to drive home.  That goal was met, plus we managed a 5-pt Q in Elite Regular and our second Novice Tunnelers Q.  However, I really felt our non-qualifying Elite Jumpers run was our best run of the day, so that's the one I posted to YouTube.  (Watch closely and you will see that the bar comes down when I turn my head to look at the final two jumps.)



My YouTube user name is Whitewaterwoman, a name I chose many years ago when I was a whitewater canoeist.

Nantahala Falls, North Carolina

Wildcat Rapids on the Vermilion River, Illinois

These photos are about 20 years old, and I was about 65 pounds lighter and in considerably better physical shape than I am today.  I can't do anything about my age, but I decided that I certainly can do something about the pounds I have accumulated over the years.  Hopefully, physical therapy will enable me to resume walking and hiking so that I can also work on improving my level of physical fitness.

Last week, I promised myself I would start eating better.  It's been five days, and so far I'm doing good.  The biggest problem with my diet was that it was way heavy on refined carbs, including three or four cans of Cherry Coke a day--I've cut that to one or none.  The other problem was that it was way too light on healthy foods.  I've begun collecting and preparing recipes that are much healthier than what we were eating.  Here's one I prepared the other day.

Wish me luck with my new challenge.  And if you have any favorite recipes, feel free to post a link in the comment section.



No comments:

Post a Comment