Friday, March 9, 2012

Chances - 03/08/2012

The winds have abated somewhat, so I was able to set up a Chances course in preparation for this weekend's NADAC trial.


The hardest part of this course is getting to the #7 jump.  On my first attempt with Dusty, I ended up against the back line after completing the serpentine, and was unable to move in the direction of #7 when he exited the tunnel.  The second time, I made sure I had the room to move.  Unfortunately, I failed to plan for handler movement toward the tunnel after #9.  However, to my surprise, Dusty continued on to the tunnel with verbal urging and a couple of arm pushes.

Since this course included a couple of bonus lines, I gave it a whirl with Belle.  I was expecting the turn from #3 to #4 to be difficult, and it was.  I didn't think #7 would be that much of a problem since I certainly had room to push forward.  However, sometimes timing is everything, and I was dismayed to see how late I was in my send to #7 with both dogs.


One last thing to look for in the video.  When Belle and I finally make it through the whole run successfully, notice that I am bending forward as she finishes the dog walk.  At the time, I wondered why she failed to stop.  However, now I know.  The best way to reinforce a stopped contact is to stand up straight.  Bending forward is an acceleration cue.  That's why sometimes it works when you run out of running room in Chances or Gamblers.

No comments:

Post a Comment