Thursday, January 5, 2012

But It Looked So Simple

Here it is January 5th, and it's 51° degrees!  Love it!  Love it!  Love it!  My plan for today was to work one of the easier exercises from Kathy Keats' January Exercise of the Month with Dusty so I could work on my timing with him.  Then I was going to use one of the more complex exercises and work it as many ways as I could think of with Belle.  However.  I quickly discovered that this simple exercise wasn't quite as simple as I thought.

This is exercise #6 from Kathy's series for January, 2012.  It was pretty straightforward until we got to #9 and I wanted Dusty to wrap right around the hoop.  After working on it with him, I decided to try it with Belle just to make sure she could wrap #9 in either direction.  I got a real shock when I discovered that she also ignored my signals to wrap right.  Once she finally got it, I tried wrapping her left and she surprised me by wrapping right.

I watched the video over and over, and I still don't know exactly what is going wrong.  I suspect the dogs are taking their wrap cue from my left arm.  Tomorrow, I'll set up a simple box of hoops and place the video camera on the "landing" side of the hoop being wrapped.


No comments:

Post a Comment