Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

Belle will be 7 in March, and since she started having lameness issues last spring, I decided wisdom would dictate it is time to start looking for a new agility partner.  No one who has lines related to Belle seems to have any intentions of breeding in the near future, so I expanded my search to include breedings that include a lot of working lines.  I found a wonderful cross last fall, but waited too long to make up my mind and the litter was all spoken for before it was even on the ground.  I also came very close with another working litter, but when I contacted the breeder, there were only two males left.

I started looking at a 14-week old puppy out west, and yesterday, I even went so far as to figure out the logistics of picking her up or having her transported.  I finally decided it was about 250 miles too far for me to drive and I wasn't wild about the thought of ground transport--just too long in a kennel for a dog not used to it.  Besides, what if I didn't like her when I actually met her???

Then today, I peeked at the Border Collie Rescue of Minnesota website, and found Chip.  His headshot melted my heart, and his video reeled me in, hook, line and sinker.  How appropriate that it is Valentine's Day.  He's not an 8-week old female puppy of known parentage, but sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants.

I put in an application.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Happy Valentine's Day to you all.
 

6 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you, hope everything works out! BCRMN has some really *lovely* dogs go through there, and tons of amazing sport prospects. I've had nothing but good experiences with them (both adopting and fostering), so hopefully you experience the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard from them BCRMN. I have to see about applying for a variance from my town. The city ordinance allows for 4 dogs and/or cats (or any combination thereof).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, consider yourself lucky if your town even offers such a thing. Where I am there is no process to even apply for variance -- when I asked, I was told all I could do is petition the board to drop or expand upon the entire limit law in our town. :o(

      I hate limit laws. They do nothing but punish the good pet owners.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the possible adoption :) He's a super cute guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the word yesterday from City Hall that I would have to go before the City Council and request special permission, and it is not very likely they would grant it. I have withdrawn my application.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear that. Have I mentioned lately how much I hate limit laws and pet ordinances?.....

    ReplyDelete